This looks set to be a typically absorbing Super Six bout. Carl Froch secured a questionable split decision over Andre Dirrell in his first fight, as Mikkel Kessler succumb to the astonishing speed and skill set of Olympic gold medallist Andre Ward.
I am a big fan of Froch due, in main, to his relentless pressure fighting and astonishing ability to absorb punches to the chin.
Froch's win over Dirrell followed up his stunning 12th round knock out of former undisputed Middleweight Champion Jermain Taylor.
However, Dirrell's subsequent impressive victory of Arthur Abraham renders Froch's performance slightly more impressive.
Kessler has the undoubted edge in skill and ability, relying as he does on a piston-like jab and good lateral movement to set his opponent up. However, Froch has built his recent career on overcoming superior opponents and unfavourable odds.
His unanimous decision over Jean Pascal was a fight of the year candidate and the knockout of Jermain Taylor was as impressive as it was timely.
The knockout of Taylor: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYcGdQdoUbc
Let's not forget that Kessler was comprehensively beaten by Andre Ward (my pick for the tournament) last time out.
I'm backing him to walk Kessler down incessantly, whilst falling behind on the score cards. However, his willingness to walk through shots to land huge shots of his own will tell. We mustn't forget that his recuperative powers are second to none in the sport of boxing.
Just watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89TARUBb0XM&feature=related
So, behind on all three scorecards as the fight enters the later rounds, I expect "The Cobra" to seriously test Kessler's resolve. I'm backing the Nottingham man to stop Kessler in the 10th or 11th round.
A lot has been made of Kessler's undefeated record in Denmark (37 fights). However, such is Froch's mental fortitude, that I don't see this as a major factor. I wouldn't be surprised if Kessler wins a unanimous decision, but I think Froch's underrated ring smarts and aggression will prove decisive.
N.B. The failure of Sky to pick up the rights to the bout is as baffling as it is disappointing. Froch does not take a backward step and his first line of defence (literally) is his chin. He is deserving of a better platform than Primetime.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment